Sunday, April 28, 2013

Blog B'Omer: This is the Thirteenth Post

Submitted by: firstpob_moo


This is a poem.

I AM

I am dying 
And no one cares: 
  
          I. 
I sit at the lunch table 
I cough up red
Around me others run 
To friends, to class 
I find the teacher 
Amid the blur 
"I am coughing blood." 
She glances at the others 
At the remains of my lunch 
My Apple-and-Eve juice box 
            Cranberry. 
She looks solemn 
And faintly aggrieved 
She says it is your drink. 
Her shift is over 
But I know she will feel responsible 
When she finds out later 
That I died before recess. 

            II. 
I jump onto the counter 
For a mug from the cabinet 
My mother has company 
A Mrs. Hammer from our block
I ram my head into the cabinet door 
My scalp is bloody 
Everybody knows 
If you bleed from your head 
            You die. 
My mother gives me a kiss 
A pat, to go and play 
Mrs Hammer hugs me 
And says poor baby
And "it must hurt." 
She cares 
Unlike my mother 
Who I know will be sorry 
When her company leaves 
And I am dead. 

1 comment:

SLiM said...

I know a very nice social worker, who happens to be related, though you may need a psychologist.