Sunday, November 2, 2008

Hey, Who Spilled The Beans?

So last night I made my semi-annual chocolate run to Walgreens. Post Halloween and post Valentines Day are when I go and stock up on candy and chocolate that really no one needs to be eating. Those are the two times of year that the stores are most in a rush to put out the candy for the next holidays, i.e., Christmas and Easter. It is possible that post Christmas candy goes on sale quickly to make way for Valentines day, but I can't say I've ever checked. Though honestly, that's the time of the year that the news and ads are squawking about diet and exercise so the environment is not one conducive to purchasing large quantities of chocolate. I think I may have gone too early this year, even though I waited til about 7:30pm on Nov 1. Either that, or the shelves of Walgreens are a good economic indicator. There was a lot of chocolate left.

I'd say double to triple what's been there in past years. Which means it will probably be cheaper in the next day or so as they slash it to 75% off. Why though was there so much candy left? Aside from the small twizzler packs, and dum-dum lollipops it was mostly chocolate. So has the economy become so bad that the children must suffer as they trick or treat, awarded less candy in these bleak times? Or, does it have something to do with food allergies. In this one store, the preponderance of chocolate that was left unsold contained peanuts. Mostly, it was snickers, baby ruth and butterfingers, and mixed packs that had those chocolates in them (plus those dreaded peanut butter cups). There were other things that were left, a few nestle's crunches and some plain hershey's kisses, but upon reflection, it was mostly peanut stuff. I would certainly peg it to the ubiquity of allergies, and the awareness that has been created through peanut free schools and classes, that people have opted not to purchase these products for distribution.

Much to MBB's chagrin I think I need to make this study a little more scientific, and it may just require a trip to a few more stores to search for cheap candy, and maybe, just maybe, there'll be something left that has some caramel in it!

I mean really people, leave some cheap Rolos out there!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just went to Kroger's and they had a bunch of caramel mix packs at 50% off. this contains, rolos, milk duds, take 5's (with peanuts) and nutrageousbars (Also with peanuts) yum, I am eating as I type!!!

Anonymous said...

No new posts today? what are you out trying to find cheap Rolo's?