Thursday, November 13, 2008

Pandora's Box

I think I've been had.

I'm usually very cynical when it comes to e-mails, but this one came from someone very close to me, it wasn't a forward, and it was only addressed to me, not forty people. Aaaand, my baby was screaming because she saw a bottle of soda on the counter and brought me a toy cup from her kitchen set so that I could pour her some, but mean mother that I am, I refused. So I was letting he get this little temper tantrum out of her system, and reading my emails. This one started thusly:

Sorry,guys, it's quick and for a kid's school project! (And you are the onesI thought might follow through - either because you have kids, you like
science, or you're just plain nice.) This is for a science fair project. If
you could do this I would appreciate it! DON'T ASK, JUST PLAY!


Hmmm. Distracted and a plea for help from someone close, I was a goner. So I sat there and sent the email to 10 people ( I cheated I only did 9 including the one who sent it to me)and I had to think of ten people she wouldn't have sent to. At the end of the e-mail it says, "see what 'll happen."

NOTHING WILL HAPPEN!!!

That's not really true, here's what will happen:


1) I will get ten e-mails back (cuz that's what the e-mail says to do)

2)I will have 6 friends or family members who will be annoyed with me for sending them this drivel (four won't mind because they'll be into this kind of thing which leads us to the next thing...)

3)I will start to get a thousand forwards a day; jokes, urban legends parading as facts, word games, promises of untold wealth or coupons for forwarding e-mails, viruses and product warnings that are over 2 years old, and rehashed political stories with the names changed to stay topical.

So to those of you I sent it to, I'm sorry, it was a moment of weakness and hopefully will not happen again. As for myself, I just cannot believe that I fell for this. Maybe I'm just not smart enough to contribute to a science fair. Here's the rest of the e-mail:

Copy and paste this entire letter into a new e-mail (PLEASE do NOT hit
FORWARD), then read the list of names below. If your name is on the
list put a star* next to it. If not, then add your name (in
alphabetical order), and do not put in a star. Send it to ten people
and send it back to the person who sent it to you. Put your name in the
subject box! You'll see what happens...It's kind of cool! Please keep
this going. Don't mess it up, please:
Aaron, Adam, Aileen,Alastair, Alda, Alexis, Alicia, Alisa, Allison, Alyssa, Amber, Amee,Amy***, Andrea**, An dy*, Angie, Ani, Ann*, Anne***, Ardis, Arlan,
Asha, Asheley, Ashley, Astin, Austin, Becky*, Beth*, Betsy, Bill***,
Bob, Bonnie, Brittany*,Bruce, Brook, Brooke, Candace, Carey, Carl,
Carol*, Carolyn*, Carrie, Chona, Christine, Cindy*,Chris*, Christy,
Claudia, Corrie, Cortney, Crystal, Curt, Dan, Dana, Deanna,Denice,
Dennis, Diane, Domenic, Donna, Doreen, Edna, Elizabeth*, Ellen,
Emily*,Erin, Evelyn, Fevin, Frank, Gail, Gina, Gogi ,Grant,
Grayce, Hamilton, Hans, Hayley, Hazel, Heather***, Heidi, Jackie*,
Janel, Jeffery, Jen*, Jennifer****,Jessica*, Jill*, Jillian, Jodi,
John, Jonathan*, Joe, Joy, Judy**, Julie**, Julia*, Kajene, Kara,
Karen**, Kate, Kathleen*, Kathy*, Keli, Kelly*, Ken, Kevin, Kim***,
Kraig, Kristi, Kristie, Kristy, Landon*, L auren, LaMis, Laura**,
Leigh, Leigh Anne, Liliana, Linda*,Lisa***, Lori, Maricela, Mary, Matt,
Mike*, Monica, Nancy**, Naomi, Pamela, Stephen, Tammy, Tara,Theresa,
Tony, Tina*, Tzvi, Steven,Wanda




Maybe some of you are smarter than me, and can figure out what could be sciency about this, but after doing it I realized you just get it back with the name of the people you sent it to added or starred. Big Whoop. I'm sure some of you commentators can let me know. If nothing else, I will once again have more comments than a certain someone else. hehheh.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

No matter how worthy sounding (charity, tehillim, good samaritan, virus alert)don't ever respond or act on any email which urges you to send it "to everyone you know" or to anyone else.

We have all lived in the electronic age long enough to know that anything that comes on email even from your best friend (who may not be as sophisticated as you) is suspect.

Anonymous said...

Hey, forwards ain't that bad (unless you get 45 bazillion of them ,and they erase nine tenths of your info[then you couldn't post(ahhh!!!! help!!!!)]in which case it would be pretty bad).

Anonymous said...

good job snopes queen ;)

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/school/names.asp