Monday, November 17, 2008

You Think I'm Bored????

Lately, while listening to the all news station on the radio, I have made a discovery. The writers are afraid to be repetitive. Possibly, they think that many of their listeners are listening on a constant loop for hours on end, the way you would to talk radio, music radio or sports radio. The differences is, on those stations the content changes constantly. Unless there's some breaking news, chances are it's the same stories repeated over and over at least an hour at a time.

Why then do the writers and reporters feel they need to shake things up to the point of the absurd? The other day there was a report of a rescue mission that would now be a recovery mission for one missing duck hunter. His three friends made it relative safety of a small sand bar (or island depending which story you read) after a storm hit and their boat capsized. The story ended with the reporter saying "the storm that victimized the men came up suddenly."

Now I understand that these people went through a terrible ordeal, and lost a friend in the process. But, "victimized?" in that context? It just seems more than a bit much to me. But wait. It gets better.

If you think the regular news writers/reporters feel the stories are tedious hour after hour, how about those traffic reporters? ( I once wrote an angry e-mail to management about the folksy style of one traffic "reporter," who basically gives you very little info, just inflates his own ego with what he thinks is witty reporting. I beg to differ). This one took the cake. So much so I had to draw a cartoon about it:




There were, and I quote: "DUELING ACCIDENTS."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

FABULOUS!!! visuals included now. I LOVE IT !!!!!