Monday, November 17, 2008

Ummm, Waiter......

I've been sitting in front of a blank screen trying to come up with something to blog about. I haven't done it since Thursday, and our many adoring fans may be clamoring for our slice of sunshine on the 'net.

I gotta tell you people, as of right now I've got nothing, but I'll give it a shot.

I went out to dinner last night with a whole group of people, but too many of them read this blog for me to say anything about that. I'm kidding of course. It was really nice, we had a great time. Too bad there weren't any Mojitos there, but I plan to remedy that in a few days as I sit in the sun on a white sandy beach. I'm so happy that it's going to be cold in these parts when I leave. I hate going to sunnier climes when the temperature at home is mild. Blast me with cold, and I get really excited as soon as I see the palm trees in the airport.

Of course rule number one: Never go out to eat starving, you're likely to be disappointed and order way too much. I wasn't, thanks to some excellent Basmati rice I mooched off my Dad. Man, that rice took me back. I love sticky rice, and specifically the sticky rice they served in the school I went to through second grade. This was so close, I could almost smell the old hallways. Either way I wasn't starved. That brought me to rule number two: Go with your first choice. If your initial reaction is to pick a certain entree, I say go with it, you'll be the most happy. Restaurants are a great opportunity to be daring, but there's the financial element that holds you back. You want to order something different, and try new things, but if you're paying you don't want to be horribly disappointed. But don't be boring, either. Make sure you order something that's right for the place that you're in. It may be delicious, but if you're in a steakhouse, don't order chicken. Don't order steak at a Moroccan restaurant, go for the Tajine.

At least my Appetizer was right for the place I was in, but I should have ordered my first choice ( more right for the specialty cuisine there), and instead I went with what I thought was a safe choice, but ended up being just ok. I can't stand when I order something that I can make better myself. I can only blame myself. I need to not think so much, and just order.

Sorry folks, that's all I got today. Maybe MBB can pick up the slack.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you went out to eat and didn't invite ME??????

happy to bring your comment numbers up. still waiting for the t-shirt....