Tuesday, January 6, 2009

High School Musical

I went to my 9th grade daughter's school production last night. Aside from the pain to my rear end from sitting for 3 1/2 hours, it was a really great night. Her dance and gymnastics were superb, and my nieces shined in their parts as well.

For me, one of the cool things about this production, was my daughter's ability to reinvent herself. She has always been in drama. In skits and plays and even a movie. But she really wanted to be in dance. She's a good actress, so I need to wonder if she's talented enough to actually throw an audition. I think she did, and in this case good for her! School rules dictate that everyone try out for drama, so I'm really glad she got what she wanted. She went to high school without her core friends, so I love seeing her confidence, and ability to go out of her comfort zone and take a big chance on things.

I love watching her mature into a young woman. I can't say that this journey is not fraught with moodiness and defiance, but that's par for the course. She's a good kid, and I'm really proud of her.

Now if she would just clean up her room.......

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"moodiness and defiance"? wonder where that comes from.

sounds like a comm.poll. to me