Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Caffeine is My Hair

Today MBB had an endoscopy. It's something he gets done fairly routinely since he suffers from Acid Reflux, and they like to keep an eye on the esophagus since the acidic damage could lead to a very bad situation.

Well, he hadn't had one in a little while, and they changed the type of anesthesia they use since his last endoscopy (that's the tube down the THROAT procedure, not the other one...). My, my. Someone got a little happy from being knocked out. It wasn't really anything specific or crazy, just seeing him be himself with lowered inhibitions, it was really funny. Maybe I need to get him liquored up more regularly.

First sign of something different was the way he drank. Well, firstly, we passed a water cooler, and he said "Hey water, I want some." I'm pretty sure he then whispered to me "it's free!" I got him a cup of water and he drank it faster than I have EVER seen him drink anything. Ever. Granted he had just fasted for basically the second day in a row, having fasted until 5:30 pm on Tuesday, and here it was 3:45 on Wednesday and he hadn't had anything since midnight . So I guess the next time I would see him drink this way would be if was stuck in the desert for a day or two. Though I'm not sure he still wouldn't sip without the help of those drugs.

There were other instances of out of character exclamations, but the funniest was when we finished speaking to the doctor and as he walked us to reception, MBB spied a table near the water cooler. On that table were supplies for the patients in recovery (read: sleeping it off). He raised his eyebrows and looked at each item like it was Sunday afternoon at a garage sale. Had I not moved him along he would have walked off with a box of straws.

So here's to whatever drug they gave him, I'm sure I could get the same results with a good amount of bourbon, but then we'd just end up back there for another endoscopy......Country Club Drive, indeed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

lots of LOL! My ball and chain thinks this reminds her of a certain costume...