Saturday, January 17, 2009

Caffeine Karma

Hmmm.

About three years ago I needed to lose a few pounds, and Weight Watchers had done just about all it could for me and I needed a jump start with something new. So I started the South Beach Diet (one I highly recommend, but that's a different post and as such we will leave it until then). South Beach is a low carb low/no sugar diet. Though really, having been to South Beach, I'd say it should be cigarettes, cocaine and mojitos, but again that's another post. Now, until this point I was drinking three or four cups of hot milk with Nestle's Quik stirred in. Nestle's Quik is a delicious confection, now called Nesquik, of cocoa powder and sugar, good both hot and cold. The sugar was a problem so I made myself lattes by microwaving milk and adding instant vanilla decaf coffee. My dearest, darling husband saw that I had seemed to develop a taste for coffee and decided to buy me a gift.

THE MOST WONDERFUL GIFT IN THE ENTIRE WORLD!!!!!!!!


It is in fact the greatest gift I could imagine, it makes me happy on a daily basis and if you ever wondered what a gift recipient should ultimately feeling like on a recurring basis after receiving a gift, I could tell you, because I have achieved Nirvana on that front. It is the gift that keeps on giving as I am joyous from it many times throughout the day. I actually saw someone buying one at Costco the other day and could not stop extolling its virtues. What is it you ask? What has made me so happy, and each and every day (at least for a few minutes) makes me think happy thoughts of MBB?

The Keurig B60 coffee machine. This thing has changed my life. I pretty much drink only decaf, but there's one great flavor that I love (Green Mountain Golden French Toast)that doesn't come in decaf, so I will indulge in a cup of the forbidden stimulant a few times in a week. Other than that I probably drink at least three to four cups of decaf coffee a day, this coffee is so delicious (pumpkin spice decaf is just amazing)I cannot drink instant, and most brewed coffees at bagel stores and the like hold no appeal to me (though in general 7-11 and Dunkin Donuts make great coffee. Starbucks is just gross). So I have been drinking steaming joy for the past three plus years, enjoying the machine, the coffee, my warm thoughts of the man who gave it to me, all that.

Until Friday. The machine didn't work. I put the K-cup in, it said READY TO BREW, I pressed the buttons, and nothing happened. Well, something happened, my palms got sweaty, my heart started racing, but no coffee came out. I turned off the machine. I waited at least ten minutes and turned it on again. Nothing. I pulled out the plug and waited. Still nothing. Yikes. I called the company, they said technical support would get back to me (I'm still waiting!). I continued to try throughout the day. I checked out the problem online, and it did not look fixable. Everything I read indicated that the company may throw me a few bucks towards a new machine, but that was about it. I'd definitely replace this machine whether or not they gave me money so I hope no one from The Keurig company is reading this. At about 4pm, I unplugged the machine and put it away, as I do every Friday.

I decided to try again Saturday night. HUZZAH!!It did indeed work. It's like getting a gift all over again. I'm so happy, but a little nervous about it happening again. However, many members of mine and MBB's families now have this machine too, so I could always run over to one of them for a great cup of Joe. So MBB has, without his knowledge, gifted me again, and now those warm and fuzzy feelings can return.

Unless it was all a nefarious plot by him in the first place.

HMMM, indeed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post, FBB! And quite timely in the midst of the storyline.

Anonymous said...

Fabulous. You are welcome here any time to use mine

Anonymous said...

plot possibility: nefarious MBB swiped the real keurig and replaced it with a broken one in retaliation for your taking him off his caffeine fix of Mt. Dew. Upon seeing how terrible it made you feel, he rethought the matter and brought the working one back.