Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The Flutter of Forecasted Flakes

Tonight is one of those great nights. It's the night before something exciting MIGHT happen, though everything would have to align juuuuust right for it to go exactly my way. At around midnight tonight, it's supposed to start snowing. No big deal in some locales, but around these parts a three to five inch snowfall that is not predicted to stop until about 9 am, means no school. No school means I get to sleep late. Potentially. I have cleaning help, and she usually arrives around 8 am. If she can get out of her driveway I'll need to be up before 8. So that's one hurdle, there needs to be enough snow that she chooses not to be here. I am very excited that my nieces are coming to visit and are flying in. Their flight is due to arrive at 9 am, so I'd have to leave about 8:00 to get there about on time. I'd love for them to be delayed about one hour, but no more than that, thus I could leave my house at 9. Of course the main factor in my sleep quest is getting the school district to actually cancel school, but based on past history this should not be a problem. Unless the forecast is waaay wrong (always a possibility), I would be shocked, shocked! if there was school tomorrow.

I love snow days, and not only because I can potentially sleep late. I love that at home cozy day. Today I shopped for provisions, we have enough milk for hot chocolate, we have enough pasta for lunch, and the girls love to laze in pjs until it's time to go sledding. As someone who doesn't work, it's almost like a vacation day for me. The kids are all home, there's often nowhere to go, so it's just a freebie day. For a lot of people it's a day to be productive, and it may well turn out that way, but mostly I laze with the girls (even though I do not stay in pjs). That's what makes tonight so much fun. It's the hope that tomorrow will be something different. No need to make lunches, the little ones can stay up a little later, and everything tonight is more laid back. A weekend day in the middle of the week, how cool is that.

So the closets probably won't get cleaned out tomorrow, and the toys will not get organized either. We may bake, though more likely we'll play a game, go sledding, read books, and try to have a fun in house day.

I can't wait.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Delayed about one hour"?!? What about your nieces, stuck in the airport for an hour while they would like to be sledding and lazing with their cousins, just so you can have your extra hour of sleep?

Anonymous said...

being delayed for an hour doesn't sound so bad but for more then that i might be upset because i can't wait to see you!!!!!
hope all your wishes come true only for the best!!!!

Anonymous said...

Pasta & hot cocoa sounds wonderful! What time is lunch? I'll even change back into PJs if there's a dress code

Anonymous said...

Snow day here, too.

Moderately productive, as in Christmas tree and decorations finally, finally dismantled and put away, and tree about to be hauled outside.

Lots of wandering around, trying to get things done, to not squander this gift of time. Totally futile.

Maybe some cupcake-making is in order.