Sunday, January 30, 2011

Is There A Better Company Out There? I Doubt It!

One hard thing about blogging and reading other blogs is the fear of copycatting. This is not a copycat blog, it's my own story about a company G6 blogged about a little while ago. The greatest company I have ever dealt with, the company a seven year old wrote a letter to extolling it's virtues, and received a personal letter back addressing what she wrote in the letter (along with some cute tsotchkes).

It was Land's End.

Here's the story:
Last week I received one of many, many emails I receive from Lands End, and this time I decided to check it out. The 70% off clearance sale. It's always good to find a bargain (and more caps for the cute little man...hey, we have to grow his hair, I expect to need lots of caps!!), and we "went to Town," as they say.

I tracked the package a few days later and saw it was expected to arrive on Thursday. When it did not arrive Thursday, I assumed it was held up due to the snow, but on Friday I re-tracked it, and saw, inexplicably, UPS had sent it to the local post office.

I understand how difficult the job of mail carrier is, the whole "Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds," is a nice sentiment, and though written on the Post Office in New York City, does not always come to pass in real life. Don't get me wrong, I know they deliver in some bad climates, and brave some treacherous weather to do their jobs. Just maybe not all of them, and maybe, maybe not my particular carrier. The guy who subs for her one day a week (because each mail carrier only works 5 days a week even though delivery is six days, so each mail carrier has a sub one day) told me many years ago, "She doesn't get out of the truck so fast when there's snow on the ground." Our mailbox is at the curb, if there's a package that's fairly big in size she brings it to the front door, otherwise, she just leaves it on the ground at the mailbox. When the snow drifts are four and half feet high, thankfully, she doesn't leave packages of any size at the mailbox, she would have to come to the door.

Needless to say I was non too optimistic about my prospects of getting this package anytime before April. I was still confused as to why UPS had opted, this time, to send it to post office. I went back to the UPS website to track it again, and again it said "sent to local post office," but for the first time I also noticed that on the side of the tracking info it said "HONESDALE, PA."

OOOOOPS

The last time I had ordered anything from Lands End it was for my daughter (the letter writer, now 15)right before she went to camp, so we had it sent to camp. I neglected to change the shipping address when I ordered the other day.

The camp, obviously is closed, and packages do not get forwarded to their winter address. What am I going to do? CALL LAND'S END OF COURSE!!

Not only did they not make me feel more foolish then I already felt on my own, but she reordered everything from the warehouse and will just send it to me at my home address, and will just wait for the post office in Honesdale to return the box that was sent to them. They consider it an even exchange, even though they wont be getting the merchandise back before they send the new stuff out to me.

Wow!

I Love Land's End

No comments: