Monday, January 31, 2011

Coining a Phrase....Or At Least a Word...

This word is so encompassing, it's almost a phrase in and of itself.

There are a number of factors that have led me to coin this term. All of them are associated with my recent behaviors, all of which are best described as the ultimate in

DOOFICTY(edited: see comments) DOOFICITY

It so perfectly captures the inept and foolish way I have conducted myself lately. You all know of the Lands End shipping fiasco, and now there's the Science Center Scandal (not really a scandal, but it sounds good).

I'm a fairly cautious person, I like to check and double check things, like hours, exhibits and things of that nature. The two oldest girls have their school production this evening, and the other kids have mid-winter vacation. So I wanted to do something fun, educational, but relatively close and small. The Queens Science center fit the bill (officially the New York Hall of Science), we could go for just a few hours have a great time and be back in time to do makeup for the thespians, serve dinner and get them to the venue by 5:30 without having to leave the house at an hour that would require early rising (and potential heavy traffic sitting...ha! more later)

The first clue should have been a New York City facility with an unmanned (read: free) parking attendant booth, but I plowed on. We didn't drive an hour forty five minutes, getting off the Harlem River Drive, avoiding a major back up, to drive through the snow hampered streets of Harlem to be turned away by something as simple as free parking.

The locked doors, and "I'm sorry we're closed on Monday," left me no choice to not only admit defeat, but admit that I was in a spiral of Dooficity, punctuated later by cracking the plastic cover of my front passenger side mirror while pulling out of my snow hampered garage.

There are most certainly more examples, but hopefully one of them is not that I didn't, in anticipation of the storm, switch my kids flight from 9:30 am to 6 am to Florida tomorrow. We shall see...

3 comments:

MBB said...

Don't you mean "Dooficity?"

There should be two "I's" in "Dooficity."

Then again, maybe there's only one, because I am not a doofus.

Dr. Dummkopf said...

There is a site for people like you..

www.doctordummkopf.blogspot.com

Doobie said...

glad the girls got off ok and you didn't have to change their flights