Thursday, September 25, 2008

Now I Understand Kruschev

I've been really busy this week. Being busy is great, it focuses the day, makes you feel accomplished, and just gives you that AHHHH, breathe in the air, wonderful sense of being alive. Those of you who are gainfully employed probably don't fully understand what I'm talking about, so I'll break it down for you.

There are two types of weekends. There's sit around the house, do nothing much besides read the paper, watch football, nap and eat, weekends. Then there are clean the gutters, change the bulbs, cook, clean up the lawn, go to HomeDepot, do errand type of weekends.

Now, think about which weekend makes you feel better. That's how I felt this week.
Until I lost the shoe. When things disappear, seemingly for no reason, it is absolutely maddening. When there's absolutely no explaination and absolutely no trace of the item, you could go mad. But, if you've ever been walking or driving and seen a shoe at the side of the road and wondered "how does someone lose a shoe?" You can be pretty sure that person is wondering the same thing.

Lest you think that I am carelessly shedding my footwear, rest assured the shoe is not mine. No, 'tis the shoe of my 18 month old. And it's gone. I've looked everywhere, retraced my steps from the last place I remember her having it (obviously that would be her foot, I mean the place where her foot was the last time I saw it on her), and nothing. Poof, gone. Just on the off chance that it was actually missing longer than I thought, I asked in the local grocery store if anyone had turned in a shoe. The guy in the office said no, but he seemed none to surprised. As I walked away from the window I saw why. There on the chalkboard outside the office, hanging among all the lost keys, gloves and sunglasses was a pair of toddler shoes.

OK, so one shoe I now understand, but BOTH?!?!? Man, I don't want to ever understand how that can happen!

Basically I have to buy a new pair of shoes for my toddling toddler (who is so cute, BTW, shoeless and all). Not that she deseperately needs shoes, but it certainly makes my life easier when I can put her down outside. Plus, it gets tiring constantly pulling out splinters....I'm kidding.

So if anyone is around IcebergCarwash, and happens to see a very cute Stride Rite brown shoe with pink flowers you can let us know. Unless you hear of a shoe store selling single shoes. Now that would be great!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

you sometimes see kids shoes with their names AND phone numbers in them, you think why would the shoe need this info isn't the kid wearing them? is a 2 year old going to camp? well now you know why! and btw if a kid can lose one shoe they can easily lose 2 (even at the same time) anyway I hope you find her shoe.

Anonymous said...

yea, ever babysit a kid in your house? and the mom comes in bringing the kid...with only one shoe? i've wondered about that...and i guess now i know the reason! :)

Anonymous said...

"I'd like that translated, if I may."
- British PM Macmillan's reaction at the United Nations General Assembly when Nikita Khrushchev started shouting and banging his shoe on the desk in protest at something in Macmillan's speech.

Anonymous said...

Don't they have pads of paper or water glasses to bang at the UN? Couldn't they simply knock their simultaneous translation headphones against the mic a few times to get attention or show displeasure?
FBB clearly sees shoes as an enhancement to the cuteness of her 18 month old. The local supermarket clearly sees them as decorative tools. But these two entities aside, Americans tend to display a much lower appreciation of the functional uses of their footwear than citizens of other countries. We don't toss them about as they do in Iran or Russia to cause insult or to grab attention. We rarely take them off in public places. With such a low understanding of all they're good for, no wonder Americans carelessly leave shoes in alleys and bus stations.