Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Fate

There are many stories, some motion pictures, of people who avoid what appears to be their fate, only to succumb at a later time in a similar or even exact same way. I recently had this experience.

With my bluetooth.

For those of you who do not see me on a regular basis, or only see me on Shabbos or Yom Tov, you may not know, that I and my bluetooth are rarely separated. In fact, I am quite certain that there may come a Friday night, when I am ready to light candles (probably in the winter, when I will have showered early in the day), and may indeed find the apparatus still attached to my ear.

For those not yet converted to the joys of a bluetooth, just know, if you get one, you may want to get an unlimited calling plan with it. It is so easy to cook and clean and pretty much do anything hands free, that once you try it, you will never want to go back to the neck straining mode of holding the phone with your shoulder while peeling potatoes, or washing dishes (no, not talking on the phone is NOT an option).

Last year, while watching the kids at the pool, I leaned over, and "spelunk," it fell off my ear, and into the pool. I resigned myself to a trip to the store for a new bluetooth ( I get the cheapest one-the plantronics is so comfortable!). We fished it out, and I decided to see if it could be salvaged. I had a number of those "DO NOT EAT" sillica gel packs that are meant to keep clothes and shoes moisture free, and I put them in a ziplock back with the bluetooth for three days. Lo and behold! It worked! The range was no longer thirty feet between phone and bluetooth (though I'm still not convinced that it's not my lousy phone), but otherwise it was as good as it had been.

This summer, I am enjoying my resolution to go kayaking once a week. (I'm having a super time with it-alone and with others) I wear a fanny pack, in which I put the car keys and my phone, safely ensconced in a "water wallet." What is a water wallet? Well, many moons ago MBB bought a bathing suit that touted a "water wallet" as a great feature that was included in the bathing suit. He bought it online, so we waited, with much anticipation to see this water wallet. It turned out to be a a ziplock sandwich bag(freezer bag strength). So now, when I go kayaking, I take a water wallet from the many boxes of them we have handy in the pantry. I like to wear the bluetooth, because I obviously do not take the baby with me, and if someone calls me, I can pick up the phone without removing it from the fannypack. It would be more of a hassle to replace the phone (pictures, contacts) then to replace the bluetooth. Plus, I have built in bluetooth in the car, so even when I don't have an earpiece I can abide by the law and continue hands-free driving.

Unfortunately, the last time I went the bluetooth slipped off my ear as I got into the kayak, and finally, met it's watery demise.

Sleep well with the fishes, my friend.

1 comment:

Doobie said...

I hope your new one will serve you as well. It seems your blueteeth like to swim.