Tuesday, November 2, 2010

We All Come Around...

I was completely unaware that certain things in life are only appreciated at a certain age. I mean, I knew it, I just was so shocked when it happened. Basically, I became my Mother. Not in a "go to your room," way (though there is some of that), more in a "look children, horses," kind of way.

Specifically the fall. I use to hate to drive over the GW Bridge when my mother was driving because she took the boring old Palisades Parkway, nothing but trees to look at. My father always took the Rt.4 and Rt.17 way, and you could play about three rounds of the A-B-C game by the time you got to the local back roads (where if you knew where to look, you'd find an X at Fox Run Road, which is a U shaped street, so if you missed it the first time there was a second sign you could catch). My mother always marveled at how stunning the Palisades was in the fall, I would just snort, and settle in for a boring old drive.

Last week I went over the GWB via the Palisades Parkway, I could not get over how magnificent it was. Truthfully, my own streets and neighborhood are just as gorgeous with the mountains rising up in all their red, orange and yellow bedecked splendor. I was just so taken by it. Not just last week either. I drove up to the Bear Mountain Bridge to really get good foliage views. The first time, I was too early. There was a lot of color around here, but as I traveled north it got greener and greener. The second time I went it had just started:




Why does it take so long to appreciate this?

3 comments:

related said...

Thank you for sharing those beautiful pictures By the time we return all will be bare. Related

big sis said...

quite right, very beautiful. I saw it from the back of a motorcycle. which means actually I had to turn my head left and right to appreciate the beauty. cuz otherwise I was staring at black plastic, which reflected the trees, but not the colors.
I do the "look children, horses, trains" too. we HAVE to.

kidnumberone said...

I sit here and snort...I just hope my kids won't say the same about me because FBB would never stop laughing