Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Drive By

On the way home from some errands today, on a stretch of what could be considered the main road in town, I passed the remains of a car fire. There was a big Fire Truck, and the Chief Car, and one police car still there.

In this town, we have a volunteer fire department. So the brave men ( I don't think there are any women on this squad)who work in town, dropped what they were doing, jumped in their cars, raced to the fire house, suited up, hopped on the truck, set the sirens going, changed the traffic light in front of the station house from blinking yellow to red, and pulled out of the garage.

They drove ten feet and pulled up in front of the fire. Yup. It was across the street from the fire house! In no way am I saying that they should not have taken care of this, it just struck me as funny.

The truth is, I'm not even sure it was a car fire. There was a car in the driveway with its hood up, so I assumed that was the issue, but it could have been an issue in the building itself.

Either way, my first thought was throw a bucket of water on it, it'll go quicker!

Kudos, to all the volunteers, fire and ambulance, for sacrificing your time for the greater good.

1 comment:

fil said...

don't forget, across the street from the firehouse is a lumberyard.

Have you ever seen a lumberyard fire?

It ain't pretty