Monday, March 23, 2009

Shopping Part II

So I took the girls (15 and 13)shopping today after bringing home loads of stuff the other day for them to try on. I'm not sure which is harder: going back and forth to buy and return, or taking them with me so that I can see their convoluted sense of fashion.

I'm not sure what look they're trying to achieve. On the one hand my taste is "old," and on the other they are trying to dress like women twice their age. It makes no sense.

Really what I want to know is when did color become a bad word? Everything is black and white...or white and black. They passed over the beautiful pastels, and luscious hues of blue and zeroed right in on the black and white. Mostly black. What is wrong with these children?!?!?

They choose styles that look awful on them, and turn their noses up at styles that flatter them.

I was never like that.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

no. you were the perfect angel all the time. A true pleasure to be around.

Talk about revisionist history

Anonymous said...

There is so much to say on this fairly short post that I am afraid my comments may end up being longer than the original post and I am not sure that would be allowed. First of all I can only say as someone who spent quite a bit of time (shopping) with you as a teenager yourself.... HAHAHAHAH.
I also have to agree with the black (& some white) thing. What is that about. I went to a wedding recently and just about every marriageable aged girl was wearing black (I think I saw three girls who weren't and one was wearing navy) I think this is primarily a frum thing but I am not exactly sure why.
I also remember when I was shopping with my mother that I was extremely diffcult about trying things on but if the same clothes were picked out for me to try on at home I was much more likely to try them. Maybe something to do with not having any more options when I was at home as opposed to in a store or mall. I think I am still the same way today!!
Well happy shopping.

Anonymous said...

DOOBIE

I think the black thing is because it doesn't get dated. If you wear a purple dress, it will be recognized at the next celebration as something you already wore and with the amount of these affairs our friends frequent, it is necessary to conserve a bit of moolah. Also, who has time or patience to shop for clothing every week.

I much prefer trying things on at home when I am ready to go to bed. I hate getting undressed especially in a public setting.

Anonymous said...

FIL I never thought that the $ might be the reason but it makes sense. I've had a few fancy dresses and they can not get as much wear as a plain black outfit. You do remember the colored outfits more and no woman wants people to remember when she last wore an outfit. But that doesn't explain the young girls obsession with black.