Friday, September 9, 2011

Grocery Adventures

A large part of my life it seems, is spent grocery shopping. As such on occasion I come upon weird happenings and products.

Yesterday, I was at the local grocery store and was looking through the meat case to see if there was anything interesting to bring home for the coming Holidays. The way it works here is if you see it? Buy it. Unless you want to stand around in the back room surrounded by sides of beef watching customers slip on the bits of fat strewn on the crimson stained floor, waiting for the meat room personnel  to give you the pieces you want. A twenty minute trip can take an hour or more.

Well, looking through the case I found a small package of what appeared to be well marbled beef. The piece was no thicker than a box of cigarettes laid on its side, and no longer than six inches. I looked at the name of this meat with a cute "I'm new" sticker affixed to the front, and saw it was called "Surprise Steak." Then I looked at the price and I saw what the "Surprise" was.  
$37.99 PER POUND!!!!!!!

I showed it to one of the women who work in the store, just in a "can you believe this?" kind of way (she was in the aisle), and she said "that must be a mistake." I knew it was not a mistake, because I have seen other pricey cuts at other stores in the neighborhood. She came back with the meat guy who told me it was not a mistake (which I knew), but then he explained why it was pricey. He said to get this particular cut, a lot of others cuts end up ruined, so they need to make it expensive.

People are crazy!



No comments: