Thursday, July 15, 2010

How 'Bout That

Every now and then you want to live in a place that seems, at least in the suburban metro New York area, to exist only in books or movies. That feeling that people are really looking out for each other, and kids can have a fun summer walking around their neighborhood and biking to play ball with their friends.

In these parts the last two items happen, but the first is certainly on display...less.

However, the other day I witnessed the coolest thing. It was almost 4pm, a time when lots of day camps are done for the day, which means traffic on the busier roads in town as parents drive to pick up their charges. I was tootling in my vehicle down one of theses roads, where lots of cars were driving in both directions, when suddenly traffic stopped. I looked ahead, and notice a mini school bus from a camp out of the area was stopped and had his flashers on.

No one from the neighborhood goes to that camp, so he wasn't discharging any passengers. When I looked a little closer, I saw the driver had stopped and turned on his flashers to stop traffic so that a group of boys could cross the street to skateboard in a parking lot!

No comments: