Monday, July 12, 2010

Annual Trip

For those Visiting Day haters out there, avert your eyes!

We had a great day. The girls are doing great, and are so comfortable in camp. Even the one I accompanied to the infirmary for a strep test (positive) minutes after we got there was in great spirits. (I just feel a little bad that I spent almost NO time in one of the bunk houses, but I did see her bed and steal a Hershey's kiss...cookies and cream, by the way, which I now know I don't care for.)

The traffic was a non issue, espescially since we are right over the New York- Pennsylvania border, we have ways to avoid Route 17 on the way home. I think it's all about expectation. If you just know that you will be spending one (or two, possibly, though we only send one half) Sunday in the summer at visiting day, and that will be your day, you can actually enjoy it.

My brother (not the lawyer)wins the title Visiting Day King. He is the opposite of all those complaining parents and all those parents who bring their kids home on a van on visiting day (would that make them Visiting Day Serfs?).

He voluntarily went up to visit someone else's kid!!! Granted, it is his nephew, and his sister lives in the Midwest, too far to come in for visiting day, but with all the belly-aching you hear about the trip, I am impressed. Would I do that? I like visiting day, but would I go for someone else's kid? I don't know.

So after we got one kid on antibiotics, and the three year old sampled something from everyone's nosh box, we went to Lake Wallenpaupack. We sat lakeside enjoying our lunch, then took a scenic boat tour of the lake for an hour. That was really nice, and we had a great time. Then it was back to camp for slushies from the canteen, loooong good-byes, and off we went. We left them happy and I hope they stay that way.

We got home fairly quickly, and we're waiting for next year!

3 comments:

is support of brother lawyer said...

HELLO???? BROTHER LAWYER DOESN'T DRIVE SAID NEPHEW'S SISTERS TO HIS CAMP AND BACK???? taking the van over a car for JUST THAT PURPOSE???


HELLO???

not realy looking for credit but if you are dishing it our anyhow...

FBB said...

OK. sorry.

Brother Lawyer is the Prince of Van Driving. He drove his van instead of his car to make room for his nieces so he could drive them to visit their brother when he drove from their camp to his camp. Mistakenly omitted because he was going to both places anyway, and I didn't realize he had taken the van.

However both my brothers will go out of their way for people, and that's really what it's about.

Doobie aka Midwest sister said...

i would have to say both brother's really went beyond what could be expected of a parent on visiting day and moved into Unbeleivable Uncles. Thank you both for being there for me when I couldn't be.