Thursday, October 30, 2008

Yes, For $360 A Share I Do Expect Perfection

I've been googlized. If that isn't a word, I just made it one, along with another: Googlable. Hmmm, my spell checker indicates that this is not a word, but we know it doesn't recognize ICEBERGCARWASH either, so how smart can it be?

Back to me. The googlization (stop me before I do it AGAIN!)of society is upon us or at least upon me. I needed to find a birthday gift for my daughter, so I googled (I'm quite sure that that has become an accepted verb) "gift for 11 year old girl," and lo and behold there were entries. Mostly they were archived forum posts, but I actually got a few good ideas from it. Though it probably would not be a bad idea for specialized gift websites to have categories like that so that it comes up when people Google it. Obviously, the forum entries will still come up, but if a site was one of only a handful of actual product sources that came up, it'd probably be a great idea. Actually, companies with retail sites should be employing people whose sole function is to produce descriptions and wordings that will facilitate the most Google hits. That person would obviously need to be a pulse of the people kind of person, good with words, and quite possibly a genius. But still, it'd be a good idea.

Now, Google has draw backs as well. The ramifications are great when the discovery is made that though everything may be googlable, it may not actually exist. We remodeled our kitchen a couple of years ago, and it's taken a while to decide on certain accessory items. Like tables and chairs and light fixtures. More importantly, I haven't found a phone I love, and one that I'd be willing to put in the kitchen. So for now we just use cordless phones, and put them back on the base (most of the time) every night (the bases are not in the kitchen, hat would ruin the aesthetic). But still there's a plate on the wall in the kitchen awaiting a phone. I actually found a phone today. Sort of. I found a style that I like a lot, but it's missing two features that I really wanted. So I went home and figured my good friend google would help me.

I was completely SHOCKED!!! I could not find what I wanted. I'm a pretty good Googler (I really think that's the last one), but I've come up empty. It's hard to describe the feeling I had today, it's kind of like when you buy a fridge or a couch and there is absolutely no way under the current laws of physics (though once Obama is President ANYTHING is possible, so stayed tuned!), short of a wrecking ball, that the item is getting into your kitchen/living room/front door. Or the feeling when you lose a contact lens. On the street. At night. It really should be right there, but no, every moment you think will be that "aha moment", the moment when the knot in your stomach will dissipate and you'll sigh in relief as you pop the gravel and germ encrusted lens back in your eye, but alas, you walk home squinting one eye closed and wear glasses for a few days til a new lens arrives. Or when you're driving somewhere and you're late and lost (and way too far over to get off an exit in time) and you just know that if you go a little further it'll work itself out (until you find yourself in Mexico wondering how you ended up selling fake Nexium to fund your trip back home).

Those are the feelings when one cannot find something on the interweb.


It seems the exact item I want does not exist. It did once, but has been discontinued, and yes, I know I can e-bay it, and I might, but a)I really don't want a second hand phone that has someone else's expectorations of germs and food particles in the mouthpiece b)I'm not really sure I love the style, it's close but not exact. Which puts me back at square two. (Square one would be not finding any sort of possible phone).

So this is a classic example of style over substance. The phone I found today would definitely be a great asset to the kitchen, but doesn't have caller ID, and I don't think it has a flash button on the handset which is great with call waiting. I can probably still get this phone, and just keep a cordless nearby just for caller ID purposes, and I might. I'll post a picture when I finally do it.

I advise that none of you hold your breath.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Making your products searchable for Google is usually a specific job function of the Web Manager of a site. Most search engines, also, promote this ability, and Google itself has some sort of optimization service and "product" (wink) that you could buy that will ensure via its optimization technology that your website is among the top that get returned when people search for your type of item.