Thursday, December 23, 2010

Why Do I Bother?

When I returned home from my trip last week, the seven year old informed me:

"You should not leave us with Daddy; he SHOWERS US with treats!!!"

This was followed on Sunday morning by the four year old informing me: "I want Daddy to watch us, you go."

SHE WASN'T EVEN HOME WHEN I WENT AWAY!!! My dear friend took her for a few days, to help things go easier in my house. So where did she get this? Is there a vibe in the house that:
"Daddy means fun?" Apparently. Apparently so.

How did this happen? I plan all the fun activities around here, I take them on trips when they are off from school, I play games with them in the evenings, I get the new toys and gadgets in the house, but Daddy...Daddy, I'll tell you what Daddy does.

He buys cupcakes and "good" nosh. And gets takeout for dinner.

I think this all makes sense now. When the seven year old was almost four she went to day camp. On Safety Day the camp brought in an Ambulance with volunteer paramedics, a fire truck with the volunteer firefighters, and police officers. The cops were talking to the kids about "Stranger Danger," and the newsletter that was sent home reflected some of the information they were given.

In order to help re-enforce those lessons we asked about them.
"So if you're playing outside, and a stranger comes by in a car and says-Little girl, do you want to come in my car with me, I have candy-do you go with him?"

"Oh, yes! I LOVE CANDY!"

So the way to the kids' hearts is through rotting teeth and expanding waistlines.

I don't stand a chance.

1 comment:

Doobie said...

My 4 year old like to go to my friends house because she always gets cookies there. She told me "I never get to have cookies because you don't make them for me"!