Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Holding On To Summer with Both Hands

So my kids start school in one week from today. Actually, the two big ones go back on Tuesday for half a day, but Wednesday is the day that's in my head as the official end of summer. That's the day that we will change the mailbox cover from a summer theme (flip flops) to just our initial, as we await the calendral start of fall, and put on the colored leaf cover. We'll stand outside and wait for the bus, and with a bit of melancholy I will turn back into the house, look at the Cheese Eater and sigh. (I might then break out the bubbly and hoop and holler, but I doubt it).

In my efforts to make the summer last, we took a trip to Hershey Park on Thursday. We got there when it opened and left when it closed. I cannot remember the last time we had such a sustained good time across the board. From the cheese eater all the way up through MBB, it was just an amazing day, though I now know, that I don't have much to do at an amusement park. I don't like roller coasters, it seems I only like flumes in theory, and really, who wants to go on a Happy -Go-Pukey? The kids however had an amazing, stupendous, fantastic time. I had a great time because of that, and I keep thinking how great it would be to go back. That's how really perfect the day turned out.

MBB and the three big girls went on every roller coaster except the Farenheit, supposedly because the line was too long, but really, I think it was just too freaky a coaster. One of the girls, who never rides roller coasters decided she'd try an upside down one. And then proceeded to go on every roller coaster there was!

We drove to Baltimore that night, to spend the weekend with cousins. We were there back in February, I just love going to them, it's like walking into a cocoon. On the way from Hershey to Baltimore, the skies opened up. So much so, that I was about 3 seconds away from pulling over, I could not see anything. Things settled down, but to be safe I put on my hazards and just drove really slowly. The rain stopped and we were in Baltimore at about midnight, and after we were all settled in the house we were treated to a lightning show, such as one only sees in the movies. Constant flashing, every three second or so, and the thunder could not keep up.

Friday we went to the USS Constellation an old Naval Ship from the Civil War. We got caught in a downpour when we were done on the ship, and it was late Friday so we couldn't wait it out. So we now own six (MBB stayed with sleeping two year old) pseudo garbage bags with hoods.

Sunday was a rambling drive home, with frequent stops along the scenic route, farms and garden centers, and a trip to MBB's office.

Monday, we drove around the area of the lake we usually go to. It was a really cool day, temperature wise, so we took the opportunity just to drive around and get out to enjoy the views, and water, have lunch, take pictures. Then we went to a nearby town to a park, off the mountains, where they have a great playground, and the kids really ran around having a good time. (the first photo is a view from above the Bear Mountain Bridge, The second and third are the view as we ate lunch, and the fourth is just one of the stops along the drive.)








Yesterday was sleep late , do some errands for school, and just generally bum around day. Today seems like more of the same, though I'm thinking we need to get a swim in some time this week.

So in these travels we have discovered the following:

1)books on tape are great

2)Our children have the taste of young monied Italians from New Jersey, who may or may not be "mobbed up," when it comes to lawn furniture and fountains.

3)we need to be careful about mentioning how the beautiful cliffs and woods would be a great place to "dump a body," lest eldest child come home and make a mock website devoted to crime.

4)I absolutely love the summer and I am so sad that it's ending.

4 comments:

G6 said...

" and really, who wants to go on a Happy -Go-Pukey?"

"we need to be careful about mentioning how the beautiful cliffs and woods would be a great place to "dump a body,"


You gotta WARN us at the beginning of these BMOMN (blowing milk out my nose) posts! Some of us read them during our lunchtime.

Seriously, though.... funny stuff.
And I too am all over the 'tradition' stuff, like changing mailbox covers.... ***awesome***

Now go do the happy dance that school has started. By dinner time you'll be wondering what you were feeling so nostalgic about....

FBB said...

Full Disclosure:

Happy-Go-Pukey is the name of a ride in Happy World Land from the Tiny Toons cartoon series.

But it's such an apt description.

Doobie said...

I wish it was still summer here. As my son keeps telling me it is not really over until Sept 22, but since school is in full swing (with even the "baby" in school) it truly feels that the summer is totally over. :( I wish it wasn't!

SLiM said...

Doobie refused to Barbecue tonight because it was raining and "who wants to eat a Barbecue inside." Me that's who! Last lick on summer and all that, right?