Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Smile and Say Cheese

There's a new product on the market called The Bais Yaakov Cookbook. It looks interesting, with pages on bug checking, halachos in the kitchen, tips on buying meat and wine, and a history of the Bais Yaakov movement and Sara Schenirer. Oh, and recipes.

In the ad I saw over the weekend it proudly trumpeted that this was not just a history, but a pictorial history. The cookbook in the ad was open to a page where one could see pictures of buildings and some great Rabbonim illustrating the pages of the written historical account of the rise of Bais Yaakov.

Before I let myself get too worked up,I decided that a trip to the local bookstore was in order, and a quick flip through the pages of this book would either allay my fear or prove once and for all that our world had in fact gone mad.

I am pleased to report, that based on this one cookbook, there seem to be some contemplative human beings around. The book is filled with pictures of women and families from that era, as well as the Mother of Bais Yaakov herself.

It sounds silly, but as I have noted before, as the mother of so many future women, I am disheartened by the disappearing woman in our society. Especially when she is expected to carry the burden of supporting her home, OUTSIDE her home. The hypocrisy s mind boggling to me.

But today I am heartened. I'll take any little thing I can get.

1 comment:

related said...

do not know if you will even see this comment since you blog was writeen a few days ago. Reb benders children wrote a book about her life. she was a student of sora Schnirar there are pictures of her and many other Rebetzins As you say not all of the world has gone mad but it is frightening. I very much appreciate your perspective os the disappearing woman who has to work out of the house, excellent and I never thought of that arguement. related