Thursday, May 19, 2011

OUCH

My dear darling adorable precocious relentless four year old fell off a counter height stool yesterday (getting a snack of course), and as soon as I saw her lying there, I knew we needed an Orthopedist.

Ten year old had just recovered from a broken finger (that happened in school, at a balloon dance, who knew a hyper extended pinky could break?!?), so I had an orthopedist in mind. I had liked them, the office was quick, and here it was 3:30 in the afternoon. The night before had been spent in the urgent care center when Ten year old fell off her bike, and her ankle swelled up. (It's a sprain, immobilized and she's on crutches for a few days)Now it wasn't after hours at night, and it wasn't Shabbos ( been there,done that), and I was feeling pretty good about getting in, x-rayed and casted in the comfort of the doctor's office, I could see being done in an hour.

HA!

I called the group I had just been to a few weeks earlier, and first I was put on hold for six minutes. Then the x-ray tech picked up and informed me that I should go to the emergency room, because if it was a displaced fracture, they weren't equipped to do that in the office ( I have no idea what that means the place is massive and has tons of staff). Perhaps it was my fault that she thought it was a displaced fracture, since I mentioned that her arm looked funny right away. She asked me if she was "carrying on" a lot, and I asked if that's why she couldn't come to the office. I also asked why they couldn't x-ray it, and THEN if it was displaced send me to the ER. She said "no, we don't do that" after conferring with a doctor. So I mentioned that everyone always says, be careful who your Orthopedist is, and I trust your group and your telling me to just roll the dice in the ER? She had no answer for that, I saw I was getting nowhere, and I hung up.

Next guy was someone I've been to as well, a little further away, but his x-ray tech was leaving and I wouldn't get there in time. "Go to the ER, and then follow up with us." Umm, no. I even asked if I could go to the x-ray place and then bring the films in and let him cast it, but I was told no, because this doctor likes to x-ray again after the cast is on.

Next recommendation, I was told "sorry we have no appointments until tomorrow." So I now for the future, to use this group, one needs to SCHEDULE accidental bone fractures in order to be seen by the doctor.

I never learn. I should have called my Pediatrician right away, and I eventually did, and the receptionist gave me the name of a group. I figured before I run to the ER, I'll try one more time.

The answering service picked up, and asked a bunch of questions, including "what is your insurance." The doctor called me back within 5 minutes. He suggested I go to teh emergency room and HE WOULD MEET ME THERE after x-ray. Finally. shwew.

We went to the ER (it took an hour to be triaged, then another hour until we were done with x-rays-a really bad x-ray tech-he was not gentle with her little arm). Unfortunately, at that point the doctor could not get there for another hour and a half. She was in a pretty good mood, not moving her very obviously (on the x-ray) fractured humerus, eating candy from the vending machine, coloring and listening to stories.

The doctor showed up, casted her up, and was just really, really nice. He mentioned that he said to meet at the ER because he knew he was an out of network doctor for me. I wish he would have told me that because I'm still in the deductible portion of my plan and out of network applies to it, and I could have just gone to his office. Either way, his heart was in the right place. I told him what had happened with the other groups, and he said he tells his associates "Say yes first, especially with kids."

So what exactly is the point of all these other orthopedists if they won't see emergencies? So they can bill insurance for follow up x-rays and "surgery" for reapplying a splint? These doctors should be ashamed of themselves. The upside is I found a new group-that I hope not to need!

The cutie pie is doing well, she wanted to go to playgroup this morning, and the doctor had said if she wants to, then let her go. It's so hard to see your kids in pain. The hardest part was the x-ray, she was so sad I thought my heart would break in half. I think that's part of the problem in the medical field. People need to detach, so sometimes they detach too much and the patient gets hurt. Or it wasn't a global thing and the guy was just a jerk.

Seems to be a theme.

2 comments:

Doobie said...

what an ordeal. You would think that in this field they would be dealing with emergencies all the time and would allow for that in their offices. Then again they deal with emergencies all the time so they don't think of it as an important emergency, just another (yawn) patient.
I hope she gets better really soon!

fil said...

If I were an orthopedic group I would be fighting to get you as a customer with all the business you could give me.