Thursday, May 12, 2011

Beep Beep

I have a love-like relationship with my car. Car is not really accurate. Flat out, I drive a truck. Not that there aren't a lot of other people driving these types of trucks, but being a small person, I love being so high up and I revel in my truckitude. I never thought there would be a time that I loved my truck, but I do. Most times.

We got the truck last year when the boy was born, because it could accommodate the whole family on those occasions when we are all traveling together. Many families have this issue, and don't necessarily get a truck- when there are male offspring sprinkled in they tend to not be around. Especially once they hit high school then they seem to always be in school. Girls are around (it's great) and available when everyone is home. With that in mind the options were: My Tahoe, a 12 or 15 passenger van, or a Suburban. Now a Suburban is basically a Tahoe, with 20 extra inches of cargo room. Actually it's 14 extra inches, because the Tahoe has a whopping six inches of trunk space. Six. Inches. I drive an Elephant, I did not want to drive a Mammoth.

So I got the Tahoe (we got a turtle for those times when we have lots of luggage and go altogether-as opposed to MBB meeting us and driving from work), and there is something that I've learned from it.

Again,I really like the vehicle. It drives well, it drives easily, I have a great back up camera in the rear-view mirror (super cool), the front seats are comfy, and I feel nice and high.

On days I go to Costco, I like it less. And it teaches me, that sometimes something worth having takes effort. I need to finagle the car seats/booster and stroller, and then figure out which seats to put down, and how to pack it most efficiently with the small space I've added by moving things that will need to be moved back. So it takes time and a little forethought (just getting the car cleaned out of "stuff" before I go), and a bit of effort, and I think how it's worth it, because I have a car that fits all of us.

When I think of people who don't do things because it takes a little extra doing, I'm sad for them.

They say anything you put effort into will last, and you will enjoy more. There are so many examples of this, but when I get anxious that maybe I should have gotten the car with more trunk space, I just think:

What would that have taught me?

1 comment:

Doobie said...

and where would you have parked it?!?!