Sunday, February 27, 2011

Night at the Theater II

Not a glutton for punishment, but I went back to the performance tonight. For two reasons: One, I felt bad sending her Grandmother alone, and two, the kid is kind of small, and I felt she needed her mother there. I also was slightly curious what would happen on night two. So I really went for all of you.

We got there a little late, but still before it started. On this night there were a few more announcements, and a few more thank yous. One thank you was to "Naomi, who played drums. Is she here? Well, I hope she gets here before her choir goes on!" (I saw her a few minutes later)

The auditorium was also much emptier, which you wouldn't have known from the volume. Tonight she didn't bother to tell the kids to stay in the back, she said "Do not sit in the aisles, there are empty seats, sit there!. I guess this happens a lot. One night is not enough, but two nights don't fill up.

I decided, both for me and for the little twerpazoid who went to sleep after midnight last night, that we would leave, with the little dancer, after she went on. I knew, having been there the night before that I was only committing to about forty minutes.

Whatever happened last night, whatever weird and crazy things, nothing could come close to what happened tonight.

It was the second scene. Two girls were singing "Forever One," in front of the curtain. all of a sudden a little boy, young enough to still have a ponytail, but old enough to walk well and determinedly, trooped up the side steps toddled his way across the stage to an open mike, and was about to take it when the organizer jumped up and pulled him off the stage. I thought for a minute that maybe it was her kid, until I saw her standing, holding him looking around, and then returned him laughingly to his mother.

Somehow the whole thing seemed reminiscent of chickens on the packed trains in Bangladesh.

2 comments:

Doobie said...

After all this I wonder, would you let your daughter do this again next year?

related said...

You have to come in with a different attitude and expectation. I paraphrase one woman who said isn't it wonderful, so informal and loose and everyone hs such a good time. All this is true but this kids put their hearts into the show. Perhaps they are used to doing their thing and being ignored. Ignored except for the kids who stood up in t heir seats to take pictures so that the folks behaind them had to do all sorts of gyratioins to see the stage. Bottem line it was fun once yuo got the hang of what was not expected. And the little one was delightful Relatedcry