Thursday, February 17, 2011

I Sure Feel Safer

At the end of our lovely time in Miami, we obviously needed to go to the airport and make our way through the joy that has become airport security. The joke that that is .

Being that we had the ultimate weapon, a sleeping baby (well he did smell a little, luckily it was under three ounces or we'd have had to take it off him and bag it in quart size ziplock- what a boon for the plastic companies. The ugly sister of bags, the wallflower size, suddenly the belle of the ball, a bag that sells itself!) he needed to be woken up, removed from his car seat, which needed to be placed through the x- ray machine along with his stroller. (he did not go through the screener, I carried him through the metal detector)

After my carry-on, purse, shoes, car seat and stroller came out I noticed a TSA guy sticking his head through the little tunnel that all this stuff had just come through. I got a little nervous as I noticed that the sunscreen that had mistakenly been left in the bottom of the stroller fell off the belt. The belt was now stopped with half of Mbb's stuff out of the tunnel, and some waiting just a little further in. I gulped, then I heard the TSA guy say to the female agent watching the screen "did you see a boarding pass? I think it went through here." Now, I knew it wasn't either of our boarding passes he was looking for, so I quickly picked up the Water Babies, and moved on to opening the stroller.

MBB was just standing there waiting for his bag to come out. At this point I had my shoes on, the stroller open and the boy strapped back in his seat. The belt was stopped, we thought because TSA guy stuck his head in there, but we were wrong.

"If ya move your stuff off the belt, and pick up the bins I can send the rest through," snarled Female TSA Agent.

Like it was our fault. Like WE stopped the belt. Like we worked for the TSA, and needed to move the white bins off the belt. No, no and no.

BECAUSE IF WE WORKED FOR THE TSA WE WOULD NOT HAVE MOVED THE SIXTY FIVE YEAR OLD ASIAN WOMAN TO THE SIDE FOR A FULL MANUAL PAT DOWN BECAUSE SHE DIDN'T UNDERSTAND THE DIRECTIONS WHEN SHE WAS PUT IN THE FULL BODY SCREENER AND SHE "MOVED TOO MUCH"!! (By the way, who sees those images? because they don't show up on the screen outside -I admit, I was looking-I was very curious).

We can all rest easy, knowing that a banned substance went through, but a woman who looked nothing but confused got the extra special security check.

No comments: