Wednesday, April 7, 2010

She Drove...I Survived

The sixteen year old got her permit a few weeks ago, but I haven't had any time to let her get behind the wheel. Tonight, I apparently had time, and thus ran out of excuses. We started in our driveway, just gas and brake, forward and reverse. Then we switched places and I drove down to a quiet block where she could do more accelerating and stopping, and moving away from the curb, straightening out, and even a few turns..

The funny thing is, this is the same street we use to teach the kids how to ride bikes. So when I told her a few weeks ago that I think we should start on that block, she told me a few days later that she had visions of herself in the driver's seat, and me holding onto the back bumper as she accelerated down the street.

Needless to say that did not occur.

But it sure felt like it!

2 comments:

G6 said...

Great post. I love this stuff.

You put the "Awww" into an "Awesome" moment.

Doobie said...

i love the imagery. And it does get easier to sit in the passenger seat with them. Although I would say I chickened out and didn't let her behind the wheel with me until she had done it with the drivers ed teacher. (Her father did go over the basics with her before drivers ed)