Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Yes, I Am Sure

Last night we went out to eat, and based on the recommendation of my sister, who was in these parts last week, I ordered the Avocado and Chicken appetizer.

On the menu it is described as Avocado and steamed chicken in a curried mayo. It sounded good, and I vaguely remember it being described to me, so I gave it whirl.  It arrived on a lovely black slab, chicken salad in a beautiful circular form a lovely bunch of watercress on the side, and a stripe of balsamic honey glaze diagonally across the slab. I saw no avocado, but assumed it was inside the chicken salad. The more I ate, the more I started to doubt it was there. Firstly, I didn't taste it. Secondly, IT'S GREEN AND NOT REALLY POSSIBLE TO HIDE EVEN MUSHED UP-especially against the backdrop of White chicken salad and WHITE mayo (albeit it was tinged a bit because of the curry, but not enough).

When the waitress came by I asked where the avocado was supposed to be, and she said "It was the green vegetable wedges that were on the top of the chicken!" Um, no. I told her it wasn't there, and she said she personally sent out the plate, and there was avocado on it. So I said maybe it fell off between the kitchen and the table, because it WAS NOT on my plate. She gave me a look and walked away.

A few minutes later she came out with a plate of sliced avocado to show me what avocado looked like. I said "I know what avocado is, it just wasn't on the dish!" she asked if I wanted it then, and I said no thanks.

The whole thing was bizarre. I commented to MBB that I hoped she wouldn't spit in my food now, but she was very nice. Even gave us an extra dessert "to make up for the avocado.' I told her it wasn't necessary, but boy was it good. (chocolate mousse, not too sweet, very chocolaty).

In general I'd say the English have lived up to their reputation for cooking. Just get stuff that's grilled.

1 comment:

firstpob_moo said...

As the recommender of this dish I can state that I too know what avocado looks like, and when the chicken salad came out I was surprised to see the green wedges on the top of the salad instead of in it. If only I would have mentioned this to you, you would have known right away to send it back.
Americans don't always know what aubergine (eggplant) or courgette (zucchini) is, so maybe she thought avocado was something else in American also.
I never know what watercress is... it's sometimes listed as part of a dish but I think it is so unimpressive or so expected on the dish as a garnish thing that I never remember to look at the dish and say, that there must be the watercress.