Sunday, March 4, 2012

It's Getting Clearer

I had a thought over the weekend. The same "rag" that blurred the face of the Statue of Liberty ran an ad trying to convince women and girls that they would have as much fun on Purim if they "stayed in their inner rooms," as they would have if they were in the more public rooms of their OWN HOMES when people (read: men and boys) came collecting.

Honestly, the idea that women should "stay in the tent,' is probably a right one, for the right time. But in a time when women are out in the world, why do we think it's OK, to pretend that in our world, it is the one place they cannot be out. I know I just said this in a previous post, but I thought of an extension. I mentioned before the idea that Tzniyus, and really the way a person dresses and acts, is a true reflection of their inside.  Thus it is clear, that because there really are tzniyus issues, especially among those who should know better, it is merely a reflection of their insides.

Their insides are screaming:

 "LOOK AT ME!!! NOTICE ME!!! I AM HERE AND I CONTRIBUTE TO YOUR SOCIETY AS WELL AS TO THE SOCIETY THAT YOU HAVE SENT ME OUT TO WORK IN. DO NOT PRETEND I DON'T EXIST, AND THAT I HAVE NO WORTH HERE,THAT I HAVE TO HIDE."

There is another people that covers up and hides its women and the Torah teaches us that they are the most promiscuous and amoral of all. Is that what we have become? Does every mention and thought of a woman need to be as an object? Can women really not be ANYWHERE for fear of what may happen to a male if she is?

Do these men who need to be shielded from the enticements of the modest women of our community shun working in Manhattan or going to any establishment that is not Heimishe?

They say the best way to get kids to love Yiddishkeit is to love it yourself and be truthful. Hypocrisy is the enemy of truth.

You betcha.

2 comments:

Doobie said...

well said!!!

fil said...

my sentiments as well