Friday, January 8, 2010

Spare the Rod...

I recently read a news story about a controversial study, which indicated that young children who are spanked by their parents were likely to grow up to be happier and more succesful than those who have never been hit.

Not surprisingly, the study has attracted criticism from groups who are attempting to "protect" children from any form of physical rebuke.

As for me, the results of this study were not surprising. In fact, I was aware of the spanking-happiness-success connection decades ago. This would explain why on numerous occasions throughout my childhood, I practically begged my parents to provide me with the tools I needed to lead a happier, more succesful life. Of course, they complied with these requests, with both hands.

As a side point, I'd like to add the following to the ever-expanding opus I like to refer to as "MBB's Guide to Living on This Planet."

By the time you are 11 years old, you know every legitimate one-syllable word out there in your native tongue. Sure, you're going to hear a three syllable word or two that's new to you, but the one-syllable stuff is done. Therefore, if a kid comes up to you in the schoolyard one day and tells you about some short, one-syllable words you've never heard before, they're probably not the kinds of words you want to drop into a conversation with your parents.

Of course, the topic of spanking children is a serious one, and I've always been skeptical of "studies," whatever their conclusions.

To me, my favorite part of the article I read about the spanking study was this priceless sentence:

"Research into the effects of spanking was previously hampered by the inability to find enough children who had never been spanked..."

Ah, the good old days.

Speaking for my generation, we certainly deserved it.

No comments: