Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

Our six year-old has a habit of singing a song she learned (I think from a cousin of hers, the song made popular by a movie, and more widespread by the game "cups" that goes with it):

"when I'm gone, when I'm gone, you're gonna miss me when I'm gone..."

Mr. Bloomberg, despite my protestations that you were a nanny, and constantly seem to tell people both what to do, and to stop complaining when things didn't go the way they should have,  and midtown Manhattan was somewhat remade for the tourists as opposed to those who live and work in the city...

 We miss you already. I cannot imagine what the people in New York City were thinking. I did not like Mike Bloomberg's subversion of democracy, but he didn't pit one part of the city against the other, give voice to the most radical and hateful elements of different communities, and set up a situation wherein a tenuous peace that exists between different racial/economic areas of the city will be turned into a powder keg with the fuse extending up the steps of City Hall awaiting the touch of the match DeBlasio is holding. (If you close your eyes you can see the political cartoon I just drew)

There used to be "white flight." I hereby coin the term : "Rich Ditch," because the wealthy may just go running in droves out of the city. Which may not mean much, but when they take their companies with them, and NYC goes back to the cesspool it once was, even I will be calling for the return of the whiny, but incredibly charitable, giving, and dare I say caring (albeit a little forcefully)former Mayor.

I think it is easy at the end of an era to look back at the good parts, but in the case of the new mayor of New York and his ideology, I feel nothing but worry. The inmates will be running the asylum.

No comments: