Tuesday, November 15, 2011

No Lions or Tigers

Living in a suburban community has its advantages. But, it also has disadvantages, the main one right now is wildlife. The fact that we are innundated with  deer, have had a few coyotes roaming around in the past two years, and now an abundance of bears, is not a surprise.  When building continues unchecked, and wooded areas are leveled to make room for baseball teams, it is not too shocking that the animals will need a place to go.

Unfortunately, I and my neighbors don't want them here. The police have said "You live in the country, get used to it." (I should add allegedly, since I did not hear the statement myself) I hear stories daily of people who saw the bears, and a drive through certain neighborhoods will reveal garbage strewn lawns courtesy of our new residents, Ursus americanus.

 So I sent our fearless leader the following e-mail:
While understanding the difficult economic climate the Town is facing, not ridding a very populous area of BEARS is not a good way to be fiscally responsible. In fact, in an area that is so full of people, and people with small children, it would be terribly tragic if the Town had to get involved after someone got hurt or dragged off.  The BEARS are here, and are emboldened. One was one a stoop on (Redacted) Road last night. ON THE STOOP! How much closer should we allow them to encroach before we realize that we and our families are in danger? PLEASE,PLEASE, PLEASE do something about this.
As much as I wanted to, I resisted the urge to add the following:
Building them apartments will neither alleviate the problem, nor garner you new votes, so please find another way to keep us safe.
I doubt he can.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you could mention in a letter that if there was a tragedy people would be looking to blame someone and he would be the simplest person to blame. (if you make it about his reelection campaign he might take you seriously)

firstpob_moo said...

I like the line you left out!

firstpob_moo said...

Is the bear on the stoop first-hand knowledge, vs the statement by the policeman? Maybe you just trust the source of the stoop incident more than you trust the source of the "country" comment. :)
I understand the concerns and it would be nice to be rid of the bears but the argument about living in the country is somewhat valid. Folks I work with who live in rural areas regularly see bears on their property and it is just part of life. If we saw rattlesnakes or copperheads we wouldn't insist that the town removes them.