Monday, October 31, 2011

31 Hours...

...and we're the lucky ones.  There are those who have no idea when the power will go back on, and who are being told it could take at least until mid week .The power came back at 2:40 this morning, the house was at a frosty 53. We kept warm with layers and  hot drinks.

October snow. Trees still lush after a fairly mild start to the fall results in the following after nine inches of snow fall:


The lack of light was not a problem, as per my DNA we have many many flashlights. It just got really cold. At one point we went outside, and suddenly inside provided some warmth at 56 degrees. The food was a non-issue, milk was packed outside in the snow, and the freezer in the garage kept things frozen solid. The gas stove was ignited with matches, and all sorts of comfort foods served up. With no computers and no Wii and no Casio  "we're bored" was a common refrain, one quickly countered by the mothers everywhere line "I'll give you something to do." Which  I did. So we got somethings organized, we kept things neat (I used the clever trick of telling the kids we didn't want to trip when the sun went down), had hot soup, coffee, cocoa, tea, played some games, had a kumzits, and eventually they couldn't take it anymore and  pulled out the lap top that had two hours of battery life left to watch an old high school concert video. How is it they can get through a three day yom tov three times in a row, but a power outtage makes them crazy?

 At about 8 last night, while it was still dark and frigid, we threw together an impromptu get together of the blacked- out, cold family members in the neighborhood.

The kitchen never seemed warmer.

2 comments:

G6 said...

I like this post... a lot.
All of it.
(of course I'm partial to the line that goes: " as per my DNA we have many many flashlights")

Singing In The Rain said...

I stock up on the Chanuka candles from my local shul and I use that to prepare for when I lose power.