Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Older and Wiser Indeed

I recently took a break from other activities to do an errand with one of my older girls. She refused to believe me when I advised her of certain truths, and tried to reason with her. The sales woman, older than me, and probably the mother of more children, just looked at me and said "There's nothing to talk about. This is what she needs. End of story."

Speaking to my mother later that evening we were discussing something in which she was explaining how I'd understand it as I get older(this incident with my daughter did not come up), she mentioned that her mother used to say "when I close my eyes, you'll open yours."

I find this a fascinating saying. My friend thought it was cold "you'll understand me when I'm dead." Knowing the person who said it (my grandmother), one of the warmest, most loving people I knew, I knew it was not meant in a cold way. Just, that by the time you figure it out, I'll be old enough to be gone.

Either way, it made me think of my grandmother. I miss her.

1 comment:

big sis said...

I do to. I think our kids would have loved her very much and enjoyed her. ya'll need to talk to your girls named for her and let them know what it was about her that we lvoed so much