Monday, May 10, 2010

Autumn's In the Air

Having just come to terms with the warmer weather and the friendly little creepy crawlies that entails, the season changed. I say autumn, but it's really more wintry (at least in the morning or at night).

Normally, this would not bother me. I enjoy the nippy air. However, I had just recently scoffed at the "frost-free date," and planted annuals in various beds and pots around the lawn. So last evening, I and my kids spent some time collecting rocks, and covering the delicate plants with newspaper. Lucky for us the frost was expected on a weekend night, when the newspapers from Saturday and Sunday are very full. One of my offspring suggested we use a tarp, which we did, and covered a few areas, but there were just too many flowers and not enough rocks to get allthe young growths covered. Plus it was windy as all get-out, and the last thing I wanted was to spend Monday morning cleaning up blown newspaper from my neighbors' properties. I threw caution to wind, and assumed that it wouldn't hit actual freezing.

I hope they survive the rest of the week. We get so much joy from these flowers, it would be terribly disappointing if they froze to death.

1 comment:

big sis said...

I have all my tomato and radish and string bean seedlings overgrowing in their little pods because I was worried it was too cold to plant them. actually they all look like weeds.